New successful case and testimonial on registration as a British Citizen for an American national, born to a British mother before 1983 (UKM application).

"When I applied for UK citizenship, I was aware of the lengthy wait time for processing new applicants through the Home Office in London. For years, I was hesitant to submit my application knowing I would be required to surrender my current US passport for an uncertain time period. As I travel abroad frequently, I couldn’t afford to be without my passport for an extended period of time. Via a bit of research online, I came across the services of 1st4Immigration. Following my inquiry, I was immediately put in touch with Immigration Advisor Joanne Wilson. Joanne helped expedite my application by certifying a copy of my US passport. Surprisingly, via the exchange of overnight postal services, I was only without my passport for approximately one week before it was returned to me.

Additionally, Joanne prepared all of my additional application documents and submitted them to the Home Office in London for review. I am delighted to say that within brief period of 3-4 weeks, I received notification from the Home Office that my application for citizenship had been approved!

I sincerely appreciate the professional support and guidance provided by Joanne and 1st 4Immigration services. Joanne was consistently prompt to reply to my questions and advise on procedural concerns. I would highly recommend 1st 4Immigration Ltd to anyone requiring their services. Joanne made the seemingly tedious application process quick and worry free. I sincerely appreciate their support, and for this reason, working with 1st4Immigration Ltd was well worth my time!"

This lovely testimonial came from Stephanie, an American national, who applied to become a British Citizen on the basis of being born to a British mother before 1983.  

This is an interesting category, open to those born before 1983 to a British mother. Why only mother? Because before 1983 only fathers could pass their nationality to their children while mothers could not. What now seems like an unfair ‘irregularity’ in the law was ‘corrected’ in 1983 when anyone could claim British nationality (and a British passport) from either their father or mother. For those who missed out on that at the time, ie before 1983, this UKM application was added to enable them to register as a British Citizen.

Beware! This application only ‘corrects’ the fact that women (mothers) should have had the same rights as men (fathers). It does not change the fact there are rules on when British nationality can descend and when not, namely terms of British by descent and British otherwise than by descent. So, it is important to establish that one would have become British if women had been allowed to pass on their nationality at the time. If in your situation your mother could not have passed it on to you, for the reasons other than being a woman, you would have the same problem now.

The outcome of UKM application: becoming a British by decent. This is a Registration application (not Naturalisation). Those who also happened to live in the UK should consider Naturalisation as a very good alternative, which is more expensive but it makes you British otherwise than by descent. It does not make any difference for the applicant him/herself, the difference is your ability (or inability) to pass on British citizenship to your children.

There are more factors to look at. For example, in some cases parents had to be married (or married after a child was born). For an individual advice or to make your application as successful please contact us: info@1st4immigration.com , we reply on the same working day. Or visit www.1st4immigration.com

To read about the difference between Naturalisation and Registration please look at our earlier  post (that information is still valid): http://1st4immigration-visas.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/british-nationality-citizenship-and.html

If you are an Immigration Adviser or a Solicitor please visit our immigration Training and CPD website: www.1st4immigration.com/training

 

Popular posts from this blog

Updated May 2020: UK visa work continues - latest update

How long can a visitor stay in the UK? 6 months from each entry? In a year? In a calendar year?

💸 10 common mistakes when meeting the Financial Requirement £18,600 for a UK Spouse visa